Sailing, sailing

What fun it is to sail!  I had the opportunity on Sunday to take our family sailboat out on the Potomac.  It's a dream come true for me. 

When the wind catches the sail you fly across the water.  It's amazing that a boat can get up to that speed on wind power alone!  The wind catches my hair and I sit back and enjoy the sun on my face and watching the glistening water.

On our boat, the boom was high enough that I didn't have to duck every time we turned about!  And how about all those boat-worthy terms?  Fore and aft, stern, port, red right, cleat, gaff, keel, rudder, shoal and my favorites, yaw & yawl!

It's a challenge to process all those terms quickly when the wind shifts and we have to come about, or is it turn about?  But it's a blast! 

And I, who usually gets seasick, airsick, carsick, motion sick - am not sick at all when I sail!

Labels: , , , , , ,